WE ARE HIRING A FULL-TIME COMMUNITY/YOUTH ORGANIZER!
POSITION: Community/Youth Organizer
POSITION TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Alexandria, VA
TWU is looking to hire a full-time community/youth organizer to work with communities in Northern Virginia around the issues of affordable housing, health equity, immigrants’ rights, and education justice. The organizer will recruit, engage, activate and retain members; develop leaders; build community-based leadership teams; conduct political education trainings; and execute campaign strategy to build power and win policy changes that advance social and racial equity.
- Guide efforts to build strong relationships and identify and develop community leaders into clear membership roles. Timely and aggressive follow up with leads generated by field efforts including one-on-one meetings, house visits, and other methods of grassroots outreach.
- Manage regular membership meetings by creating standing agendas and supporting new community leaders to facilitate meetings geared towards peer engagement and immediate activation.
- Create actions, trainings, and mobilization opportunities in order to activate members and activists.
- Mobilize and track engagement of members and activists at various events and field opportunities in a database.
- Develop the political consciousness of the community members and leaders through popular education, reflection, leadership development, and developing appropriate educational materials.
- Provide ongoing support to community leaders.
- Participate in campaign development, strategizing, and implementation.
- Participate in building campaign coalitions and key relationships with campaign-related allies.
- Be willing to put in the hours to get the work done, including some nights and weekends.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Committed to TWU’s mission of social, racial, and economic justice.
- Experience in organizing.
- Ability to develop and maintain a variety of relationships on multiple levels.
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines; Must be self-motivated and able to work well both independently and on a team.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to take instructions and utilize constructive feedback for growth.
- Driver’s license and access to a car.
- A minimum one-year commitment to the position.
- Experience organizing immigrant communities is preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English languages is preferred but not required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salaries are competitive. Salary range is $36,000-$40,0000, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package, including health, vision, dental, and stipends for phone and transportation.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, we are not able to respond to applicants whose candidacy is not being pursued. No phone calls please.
Tenants and Workers United is an equal opportunity employer. TWU recruits, hires, trains and promotes without regard to race, creed, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability condition, or marital status. TWU hires employees based upon qualifications, experience, and training required for successful performance of the job as defined in the written job description.