Unity was the childcare providers campaign that increased access to quality childcare for low-income families and improved working conditions for childcare providers.
Power to the People! Over the years, we’ve won more than $100 million in living wage jobs, affordable housing, health care, public education resources, and other community benefits!
- Prevented the eviction of thousands of families from the Arlandria-Chirilagua neighborhood in the 1990’s.
- Founded the Arlandria-Chirilagua Housing Cooperative (ACHC), a 282-unit housing complex that is owned and operated democratically by it’s resident-owners. To this day, ACHC is the only home ownership opportunity available for low-income people in Northern Virginia.
- Launched Alexandria Union Cab, a worker-owned and -operated business with more than 230 drivers and a market value of $2 million.
- Won a 35% discount for uninsured patients in the Inova Health System.
- Successfully demanded that Alexandria City Public Schools hire bilingual (Spanish/English) parent liaisons to help parents communicate with teachers and to orient immigrant parents.
- TWU Youth led the College Prep for All Campaign that led to creation and institutionalization of culturally sensitive, academically rigorous educational opportunities for all students in Alexandria City Public Schools.
- Co-founded the national Right to the City Alliance (RCA), a coalition of over 40 organizations across the U.S. united in the struggle for urban rights. RCA fights for affordable housing, inclusive democracy, immigrant rights, environmental justice, etc.
- Won an annual increase of $350,000 to the city’s childcare provider reimbursement budget and helped institute policies such as due process, rights to bilingual notification for service providers in the Alexandria Department of Human Services, and expanded low-income family access to subsidized child care.
- Helped create a living wage law in Alexandria that resulted in the total wage increase of $450,000 for the lowest-paid municipal and outsourced workers in Alexandria.
- Won a living wage law raising the minimum wage for all Arlington municipal employees, including school board employees, as well as a majority of outsourced workers to $11.00/hr (in collaboration with the Arlington Living Wage Coalition).
- Eliminated over $1 million in medical debt for low-income residents of Alexandria.
- Recovered millions for low-wage workers in Fairfax County.
- Held 11 consecutive annual Health Fairs to provide critical services such as vision testing, cholesterol and HIV screenings to over 300 people each year.
- We've been fighting against the toxic collaboration between ICE and local law enforcement, leading efforts that pressured Arlington County and Alexandria to opt out of DHS Secure Communities in 2010, helped to pressure the Fairfax County sheriff to terminate their contract with ICE in 2018, and won concessions from Alexandria Sheriff Dana Lawhorne to reduce collaboration with ICE in 2019.