IMMIGRANT JUSTICE ORGANIZER – INQUILINOS Y Trabajadores UNIDOS (TENANTS AND WORKERS UNITED)
INQUILINOS Y TRABAJADORES UNIDOS (TENANTS AND WORKERS UNITED) is hiring a full-time immigrant justice organizer
Immigrant Justice Organizer
As massive corporation Amazon comes to Northern Virginia, TWU is looking to hire a full-time community organizer to support the communities that will be directly affected around issues of affordable housing, good jobs, transparency and accountability and more with its arrival. The organizer will recruit, engage, activate and retain members, develop leaders, build community-based leadership teams, conduct political education trainings and execute campaign strategy to build power to hold Amazon and local leaders accountable.
- Drive efforts to build strong relationships and identify and develop leaders into clear membership roles. Timely and aggressive follow up with leads generated by field efforts including one-on-one meetings, house visits and other methods of grassroots outreach.
- Manage regular membership meetings with a standing agenda and supporting new leaders to facilitate meetings geared towards peer engagement and immediate activation.
- Create actions, trainings and mobilization opportunities in order to activate members and activists.
- Mobilize and track engagement of members and activists at various events and field opportunities in database.
- Develop the political consciousness of the affiliate organizations’ leaders through popular education, reflection, leadership development and developing appropriate educational materials.
- Provide support to leaders.
- Participate in campaign development, strategizing and implementation.
- Participate in building campaign coalitions and key relationships with campaign-related allies.
- Willing to put in the hours to get the work done, including some nights and weekends.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Committed to TWU’s mission of social, racial and economic justice.
- Experience in organizing.
- Ability to develop and maintain a variety of relationships on multiple levels.
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines; Self-motivated and works well both independently and on a team.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, manage multiple projects.
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback.
- Driver’s license and access to a car.
- A minimum one-year commitment to the position.
- Experience organizing immigrant communities is preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English languages is preferred but not required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salaries are competitive. Salary range is $35,000-$40,000 commensurate with experience, and comes with an excellent benefits package, including health, vision, dental, and stipends for phone and transportation. We are an equal opportunity employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, we are not able to respond to applicants whose candidacy is not being pursued. No phone calls please.
Tenants and Workers United builds power in low-income, immigrant communities of color to improve the quality of our lives in Northern Virginia. We organize and support people to be agents of change in their own lives by addressing the issues they care about.